The following is a message from Alcon regarding the safety of contact lenses during the Covid 19 pandemic.
We would like to highlight recent evidence-based science to support you regarding the safety of contact lens wear during COVID-19.
Alcon and our industry partners and associations including EUROMCONTACT, the British Contact Lens Association (BCLA), add other locally relevant associations, firmly support the recent guidance from the Centre for Ocular Research & Education (CORE). This guidance is based on the recent Peer Review publication in Contact Lens and Anterior Eye (CLAE)1 which states:
- There is currently no scientific evidence that contact lens wearers have an increased risk of contracting COVID-19 compared with glasses / spectacles wearers.
- Thorough handwashing and drying are essential, as well as properly wearing and caring for contact lenses, ensuring good contact lens case hygiene, and regularly cleaning glasses / spectacles with soap and water.
- There is currently no scientific evidence to support rumors that everyday eyeglasses / spectacles offer protection against COVID-19.
- Everyone should avoid touching their nose, mouth and eyes with unwashed hands, consistent with World Health Organization (WHO) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommendations.
- Contact lens wearers who are ill should temporarily revert to wearing eyeglasses / spectacles
CORE have also issued a press release in https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/new-research-reassures[[[–]]]advises-contact-lens-wearers-during-coronavirus[[[–]]]covid-19-pandemic-offers-clear-facts-and-hygiene-advice-301039057.html?tc=eml_cleartime.
Keeping our commitment to helping people see brilliantly is more important now than ever, and we are honoured to support you during these difficult times.
Please ensure you and your loved ones stay safe.